Oh boy, even if Monday’s hitting you like Monday’s running me personally, I think you’re going to be quite pleased with the current recipe offering.
In the past couple of weeks, I’ve been obsessed with secure, fast meals for supper.
It’s the only way we are surviving at this time.
I can honestly say in my 15-year career being a mother; we haven’t had a fall season this mad.
I am trying not to whine. I mean, after all, I voluntarily brought these kids into the world and prayed they’d one day want to play soccer and meet their childhood presence.
I can only blame myself right now for dreaming of that day.
I don’t believe my family understands how blessed they are to have ANY food provided to them at dinner time.
Or how lucky they are to have a mommy who is semi-functional and awake that this time of year (see, I just stated semi).
I know I’m not alone in believing that the Fall Crazies.
In honor of general life chaos, this recipe is for you.
QUICK AND EASY CHEESY BLACK BEAN QUINOA BAKE
- 3 cups cooked quinoa about 24 ounces (see note)
- 2 cans 15 ounces each black beans, rinsed and drained
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 12 ounces salsa verde can sub your favorite tomato salsa, if desired
- Juice of 1 lime about a tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups cooked chopped chicken (rotisserie chicken works great here - you can easily leave the chicken out for a meatless dish as well)
- 2-3 cups shredded Monterey jack and cheddar cheeses
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9X13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the quinoa, black beans, tomato sauce, salsa verde, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and chicken (if using). Taste and add additional salt and pepper to taste, if necessary.
- Spread half of the mixture in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Layer with the rest of the quinoa mixture followed with the remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes until hot and bubbling.