I was in the midst of doing something (likely Facebook, but let’s pretend it was something important just for fun). I made them wait for lunch. For a whole hour.
Don’t worry. They did not starve to death. It was a close call, but they pulled through. Those four hours between lunch and breakfast did them , but I got my butt off and fed them only.
Needless to say, when the food has been cooked and the house smelled like a bizarre combination of beer (!) And cheese (!) and pretzels (!), I sent everyone off into the dining area to wait patiently while I photographed their meal.
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 12 ounces beer
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 ounces freshly grated cheddar
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Pretzel rolls homemade or store bought
- Dijon mustard
- Place the chicken, beer, garlic, salt, and pepper in the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 8 hours or high heat for 4 hours.
- When done, shred the chicken with two forks. Meat should shred easily.
- To prepare the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the beer and milk and continue cooking and whisking until the sauce is smooth and thick, about 5 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and add the cheese, a small handful at a time, stirring until melted before adding the next handful. Stir in the chives.
- To serve, warm the pretzel buns in the oven. Split and spread one side with mustard. Top with the chicken and cheese mixture.