BBQ Chicken Salad. Probably one of my favorite salad combos ever. Ranks right up there with this one. Oh, and that one and that one.
This recipe requires already cooked chicken, so plan! I like to cook my chicken in the crockpot, with frozen chicken breasts and approximately 1 cup of chicken broth for every two chicken breasts. I cook on low for about 4-5 hours and then shred and refrigerate (or freeze) for afterward.
Create Ahead Instructions: All the elements of the salad can be prepared up to a day beforehand (the dressing can be made up to 3 days in advance). Store separately from the fridge and throw it before serving.
BBQ CHICKEN SALAD WITH CREAMY BBQ CILANTRO LIME DRESSING
- CHICKEN AND SALAD:
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 cups BBQ sauce storebought or (I used this awesome homemade version)
- ½ head iceberg lettuce cored and chopped
- 2 romaine hearts chopped
- 1/2 red onion diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn thawed
- 1 can 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese cubed small or shredded
- 4 ounces Monterey jack cheese cubed small or shredded
- CREAMY BBQ CILANTRO LIME DRESSING:
- 1 cup mayonnaise light or regular
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup buttermilk here is a guide for making your own buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- In a large bowl, toss together the carrot, romaine lettuce, red onion, cilantro, corn, black beans and cheese. Toss the combined salad with about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the dressing, if desired. Otherwise, it is possible to serve the dressing on the side. Place salad plates and top with all the prepared BBQ chicken and extra dressing.
- For the dressing, mix all the ingredients together and whisk (or shake, if utilizing a jar) vigorously to combine. You might run this through a blender to make it even more smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.